Saturday, May 15, 2010

Big dog. Little dog.

As I said in my last post I don't often see big dogs here in Tokyo. This big fluffy standard poodle made me (almost) want one.

I still find it amusing that people here dress their dogs and bring them into coffee shops and restaurants and treat them like human beings. These two were so quiet I almost didn't see them standing there behind my chair at Segafredo's in Hiroo. Very well-behaved. I guess they'd have to be, in order to be allowed in. I don't think Japanese would tolerate ill-behaved dogs in public places. Come to think of it I don't think I've seen an ill-behaved dog in the more than two years that we've lived here. They must be kept behind closed doors, their owners too ashamed to take them out. The standard's owner said he was very quiet even at home, never yipping for attention like his little sidekick.

1 comment:

Maryanne said...

P.S. I should mention that I do know of one incident recently where a tiny dog did some serious damage to a little girl's hand- the owner had said it was okay for her to pet the dog and then something went terribly wrong. I always tell my kids to stay away from dogs they don't know but it's tough...