Thursday, November 6, 2008

Victory!

When Obama won, I was in Mitsukoshi department store in Nihombashi, checking out their ginormous Christmas tree with my friend Claire. Terry, who had been keeping an eye on the New York Times' website all morning at work, refreshing it every five minutes, called me when they finally called it, shortly after lunchtime on Wednesday, Tokyo time. I will always remember being there when I heard the good news, and feeling just...so....relieved. And proud. I will always remember that while it was all happening, while the state returns were coming in and other expats were home glued to the CNN World channel or whatever, Claire and I and a bunch of other moms we know from school were at Ozu Washi, a handmade Japanese paper shop, making lampshades. Here's mine:
I'm sure it was that absentee ballot I mailed to the Brooklyn board of elections that cinched it.

No comments: